When importing an Primavera P6 XER file, P6 Professional could be very slow or hanged when it starts to import Risk Category like the picture below.
These Risk Category comes from a Primavera model or database that use Risk Analysis application. If we do not use this Risk Analysis application, the Risk Category data is useless and could unnecessarily increase our database size. However, there is no option to ignore Risk Category when importing.
Therefore, we need to delete Risk Category data before importing.
1. How to delete Risk Category data in XER file?
Note: we should back up XER file before editing it.
1.1. Using Notepad
- Open XER file in Notepad
- Search for RISKTYPE
- Remove all the %R lines (highlighted in picture below) below the %T and %F lines
- Save the file and import to P6 as usual.
1.2. Using XER Parser Tool
Oracle stop updating their XER Parser Tool. A consulting firm named Aegis has updated it to work with Excel in Office 360. You can find it here: https://www.consultaegis.com/technology/free-utilities/
(Or here: XER Parser Tool)
- Open the XER Parser Tool (the Excel file) with Macro-Enabled
- Load the XER file
- Go to RISKTYPE tab and delete all data from row number 2
- Go to General tab and Build the XER file
- Import the new XER file to Primavera as usual
1.3. Using Purge POBS application
The application and instruction could be found here: http://scheduleanalyzer.com/sae_p_POBS.htm
(Or here Purge POBS)
1.4. Import Primavera file using XML format and ignore Risk Category
- Request the provider of the Primavera file to export the project again in XML format
- During import with XML format, risk category can be ignored:
- File -> Import -> Primavera XML
- Provide XML filename and location
- Choose EPS to import the project
- On Update Project Options, select Edit
- Risk categories can be changed to “Do not import”
2. How to delete Risk Category data existed in database after importing?
- Open Primavera P6 Professional
- Go to menu Admin -> Admin Categories -> Risk Categories tab. Select all unnecessary categories and click Delete button.
Leave a Reply